Wednesday, May 13, 2009

9 years ago

Nine years ago today, my beautiful little sister passed away at the age of 15 from bone cancer. Even though my oldest child was only 4 months old when Kaylin passed away, all my kids love to see pictures and hear stories about her. They also love to listen to her books on CD. She recorded a few books and songs just before she passed away so we could always remember her voice. I am so grateful she did, they are so precious to us!
Last year we started a new tradition. We got 4 white balloons (1 for each of the kids) and we let them write her notes, trace their hand, or draw pictures on the balloons. Then they let them go up in the sky to their Aunt Kaylin! The kids love to watch them until they can't see them anymore.




After we let the balloons go, we came in and had ice cream, orange floats and SQUIRT!!! Kaylin loved Squirt so we had it in memory of her! We love and miss you Sis!

20 comments:

Jenn said...

Wow Rosie, I had no idea. What a great way to remember her. That's so neat that you have those CD's.

Taryn said...

that's really a sweet tribute!

Jenny said...

I love you Rosie... Your family and their stories make my heart glow. I love being touched by your writting.
Thank you!
That Strawberry shortcake song was great too!

Tricia said...

I can't believe it has been 9 years. I am so glad that I was able to spend time with them when they were in Seattle. What a beautiful girl. I rememember when they first came up there Allie was a new baby. Kaylin asked your mom if she would give Allie cancer if she held her. We all learned so much from her and your family as she struggled the last few years. Your kids are blessed always having their special aunt watching over them in Heaven.

rosie said...

Thanks everyone! Jenny that is ironic that the Strawberry Shortcake was playing while you read this. We listened to that over and over with Kaylin before she passed away. It reminds me of her!

Tricia, they have fond memories seeing you up there too! Thanks for taking such good care of them.

Michelle said...

What a great tradition to start. It's wonderful that your kids know and love her so much through you and your memories. Imagine what a wonderful reunion your family will have one day! :)

Unknown said...

Rosie, You always think of the neatest ideas! Love, Aunt Barbara

Steph said...

Gosh, I can't believe that it's been 9 years ago! She went through so much at such a young age. That is a great tradition to do with your family!

Troy, Courtney, and Max said...

Perfect, I know Kaylin loved it. Simple and sweet. I remember that day very well sadly. I sometimes think of her and wonder; where would she be, would she have one or two kids by now, would she have still been interested in music and art? She was an example to me and a friend I'll always remember.

The Boyos said...

What a wonderful tribute Rosie! I didn't realize it was so close to the anniversary of her death. I make a comment in R.S. on Sunday about Kaylin and how much she was able to accomplish before she died. I embarrassed myself (or so I felt at the time) because I really booohooed for everyone. I was caught off guard with my emotion and then today I noticed your post. I am sure she had no idea how many lives she would touch while she was here. What a wonderful idea to help your children know her!

Naomi said...

What a beautiful post. Such special memories for you and your children! We just love you guys! :)

Pam And Scott said...

What a wonderful post. I can't believe it has been 9 years. She was such a brave little girl. She was as insperation to us all. I'm sure she loves her new role in heaven taking care of all the neices and nephews she sends down to your families. I'm sure she is still carring on the role of an aunt, only in heaven.

The Cox Family said...

What a great idea and tradition! Thanks for sharing it with us. You are such an amazing person Rosie, and have such a great family!

The Egan Family said...

that is such a cute idea! I can't believe it was 9 yrs ago! We love kaylin and miss her dearly!

Rebekah B. said...

Can't believe it's been 9 years. What a sweetheart. What a great tradition too - your kids will always remember this!

Love you girl!

Taryn said...

rosie on my last post you asked if Jill looked like my baby pics. I do see some resemblance...but she really looks like Jennilyn's baby pictures. Almost the spitting image of Jennilyn. funny thing is...A LOT of people think jenni and I are sisters not sister-in-laws. And at one of the reunions when i was first married a couple of the younger kids, kept confusing us ;)

Dittmer Family Farms said...

Hey sista/cuz, I don't get to get online much but wow - this struck me dead on! Wow the tears - couldn't control them... words can't explain how much your blog touched my heart... I miss her sooo much... I drink squirt in rememberence of her too; when I am back home I leave one for her ;) She is always in my heart and thoughts - Thank you for sharing this and in such a beautiful sincere way - Love and miss you sooo - can't wait to see you and your family! Shereebee

hayleyharts said...

I love this post roise. I think the balloon idea is so neat. Kaylin has touched so many lives. I still think about her and how brave she was and your family. thanks for sharing. I can tell you kids really love her.

The Raven Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Raven Family said...

What a tear jerker. Thanks for sharing. It is nice to read what you do to remember. What a beautiful sister.