Today we (EJ) transferred the cocoons out of the jars to a butterfly cage, so when they transform they will be in an enclosure. There is paper at the top of the jar to help transfer the cocoons, however our caterpillars ate through most of the paper. So, it was tricky when EJ was moving them.
The one caterpillar that fell to the bottom of the jar, EJ picked it up and moved it to the bottom of the cage. When he picked it up it started wiggling like crazy. Hopefully it will still become a butterfly. I am just so happy EJ was here to help us move them. I was too freaked out to move them by myself. I probably would have dropped that one cocoon, if it would have started wiggling in my fingers.
The one caterpillar that fell to the bottom of the jar, EJ picked it up and moved it to the bottom of the cage. When he picked it up it started wiggling like crazy. Hopefully it will still become a butterfly. I am just so happy EJ was here to help us move them. I was too freaked out to move them by myself. I probably would have dropped that one cocoon, if it would have started wiggling in my fingers.

When they start to come out of their cocoons, we are suppose to buy Carnations and put sugar water on the flowers to help keep the butterflies alive. Then we can release them when they get bigger and the weather is warm enough. For now we just watch and wait for them to become BUTTERFLIES!





2 comments:
It is so fun to watch this process all over again. I find it fastinating!
What a fun project! I bet your kids are enjoying watchin the transformations!
Post a Comment